- Comics researcher Rob Stolzer is writing a bio on cartoonist Jay Irving. He’s discovered an ad from July 1923, shown above, for a sports strip called Bozo Blimp. Problem is that neither he nor I have ever found a newspaper appearance of this very early Irving effort. Can anyone help Rob with information about this strip?
- I’m betting that there’s some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan out there who can tell me who was responsible for what on the daily comic strip. The feature didn’t carry any credits. From an article by John Wells in Comics Buyers Guide #1208 (January 10 1997) I learned that the creators were, or included, Dean Clarrian, Ryan Brown, Jim Lawson and Dan Berger. Problem is I don’t know which were artists, which were writers, or when each of them worked on the strip. Can anyone help?
- I am trying to complete my runs of Cartoonist Profiles and the old Cartoons Magazine. I have quite a few duplicate issues from these series if anyone wants to trade, or I’ll pay cash. I’m looking for:
Cartoonist Profiles #1, 132, 142
1912: February, March, April, May, June
1913: June, October
1914: March, May
- For reasons unknown this sad news doesn’t seem to have gotten much press coverage. Al Scaduto, who has been handling the art chores on They’ll Do It Every Time since 1966, and the writing since 1991, passed away on December 8 2007. The syndicate has decided to end the feature when Scaduto’s material already in the pipeline runs out. Last releases were to be February 2 2008 (daily) and February 10 (Sunday). King Features has been syndicating the feature since 1929, and it was originally created by Jimmy Hatlo.
- I’ve looked through my files and I can’t find a few things I know should be in there some darn place. Maybe someone out there happens to have cites at hand.
1- Looking for proof that Marvelous Mike, a 1956 United Feature strip by Bob Kuwahara, was chosen for syndication in some sort of national contest.
2- that Pat Oliphant made a public stink when Doonesbury won the Pulitzer in 1975.
Or are both of these events just conjured out of random neuron firings in my noggin?
- Does someone who goes by the eBay moniker “fundaysunnies” happen to be a Stripper’s Guide reader? You won something on eBay recently that I’d very much like to ask you about.